Playa Del Carmen, Mexico – The PGA Tour returns to Mexico’s Mayan Riviera this week for the playing of the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba.
With only one of the Top 25 players in the Official World Golf Ranking in the field, it will be a chance for lesser know players to shine.
Defending champion Graeme McDowell is one of the headliners in a field that includes another former major champion, Jim Furyk.
Here’s what you need to know as you watch the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba.
Last year, 2010 U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell shot a final round 66 to win his first tournament on the PGA Tour in over two years.
The Northern Irishmen beat veteran Jason Bohn and rookie Russell Knox of Scotland in a playoff. The three players tied with a 72-hole score of 266, 18-under par.
Knox matched McDowell’s 66 on Sunday, while Bohn shot 68.
McDowell earned $1,116,000 for his third PGA Tour win.
Derek Fathauer finished alone in fourth place at 268 after a final round 71. Scott Brown and Harold Varner III tied for fifth, another two shots back.
Here are the final results for the 2015 OHL Classic at Mayakoba.
|T5||Harold Varner III||70||62||68||70||270|
The Field for the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba
As usual, the field for the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba is not full of big names. With just one player in the top 25 and four from top 50, there’s a good chance a lesser know player will emerge the winner.
Leading the list of entrants are two of 2015-2016’s hottest rookies, Scotland’s Russell Knox and Argentina’s Emiliano Grillo. Knox is the tournament’s highest ranked player at number 19, while Grillo is ranked 26th.
The field also includes two former U.S. Open champions. 2010 winner and defending Maykoba champion Graeme McDowell is joined by 2003 winner Jim Furyk.
Here is a complete list of tee times and players for rounds one and two.
Past Champions in the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba field
The 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba is the 10th playing of the event. In addition to defending champion Graeme McDowell, Six of the other eight former winners are also in the field.
The list includes Charley Hoffman (2014), Harris English (2013), John Huh (2012), Johnson Wagner (2011), Mark Wilson (2009) and Brian Gay (2008).
Hottest Players in the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba Field
According to the Razzball Fantasy Golf Rankings (RFGR), here at the hottest players in the field for the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba:
|8||KOR||Si Woo Kim||41||53|
2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba – Our Picks
Here are the players we feel have the best chance of winning the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba:
1. Russell Knox – Lost in a playoff in 2015 and is the class of the field.
2. Jim Furyk – Veteran looking for 1st win since 2015 Heritage.
3. Scott Piercy – Four Top tens in 2016, includin a pair of runner-up finishes.
4. Emiliano Grillo – Young Argentine looking to avoid sophomore jinx.
5. Chris Kirk – Had a recent 2nd place finish and always around on the weekend
6. Harris English – 2013 Champions was 4th last week in Vegas.
2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba – Sleepers
Here are players who might not get the attention but could be big contenders at the 2016 OHL Classic at Mayakoba:
1. Keegan Bradley – Former PGA champion comes in off back-to-back top tens.
2. John Huh – 2012 winner has a top ten last Sunday at the Shriners.
3. Charles Howell III – he never wins, but he’s always there.
4. Johnson Wagner – 2011 champion was third at the Safeway Open.
5. Jon Rahm – Young Spaniard always seems to be in contention.
6. Cody Gribble – Sanderson Farm’s champ had predictable down week at CIMB Classic.