Las Vega, Nevada – The PGA Tour returns to the Nevada desert this week for the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open.
As usual, many of the top players most have passed on the 34th edition of this event.
Still there should be plenty of excitement as players look to get an early head start on qualifying for the 2017 Fed Ex Cup Playoffs.
Here’s what you need to know when watching the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open.
PGA Tour rookie Smylie Kaufman shot a sizzling 10-under par 61 to win the 2015 Shriners Hospital for Children Open by one shot over a group of six players.
Kaufman, who posted his first pro victory on the Web.com tour earlier in the year, collected a $1,152,000 first place cheque.
Patton Kizzire (final round 63), Cameron Tringale (66), Brett Stegmaier (69), Alex Cejka (66), Jason Bohn (66) and Kevin Na (67), shared second place.
Here are the final results of the 2015 Shriners Hospital for Children Open:
|T13||Brendon de Jonge||67||66||73||67||273|
The Field for the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open
The field for the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open lacks a lot of star power, but still boasts one current major champion.
Reigning PGA champion Jimmy Walker headlines the field. He’s also the highest ranked player in the Official World Golf Ranking, teeing up on Thurday, at #18.
Overall, just seven of the top 50 players in the world are on the start list. U.S. Ryder Cup team members Brooks Koepka and Ryan Moore are also destined to be fan favorites.
Past Champions in the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open Field
Including Smylie Kaufman, a total of 10 past champions are in the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open field.
The six previous winners are all set to tee it up on Thursday. They include Ben Martin (2014), Webb Simpson (2013), Ryan Moore (2012), Kevin Na (2011), Jonathan Byrd (2010) and Martin laird (2009).
There are also three winners from different eras on the list of starters. Stuart Appleby, the 2003 winner, is joined by 2011 champion, Bob Estes, and Davis Love III, who won in 1993.
Hottest Players in the Field for the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open
According to the Razzball Fantasy Golf Rankings (RFGR), here at the hottest players in the field for the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open:
2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open – Our Picks
Here are the players we feel have the best chance of winning the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open:
1. Ryan Moore – Hottest player in the field was the 2012 winner here.
2. Francesco Molinari – Italian looks poised for a big season in 2016-2017.
3. Scott Piercy – Looking to add another win to a lot of recent top finishes.
4. Kevin Na – 2011 champ loves golf in the desert.
5. Chris Kirk – Finished 2nd last week at the Sanderson Farm
6. Patton Kizzire – Had a near miss two weeks ago and tied for 2nd in Vegas last year.
2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open – Sleepers
Here are players who might not get the attention but could be big contenders at the 2016 Shriners Hospital for Children Open:
1. Graham Delaet – Canadian star looks to be be rounding into form after tough season.
2. Keegan Bradley – 6th at CIMB is best finish since 2015 Houston Open.
3. Webb Simpson – 2012 U.S. Open champ is a former Veags winner as well.
4. Bryson DeChambeau – Projected star learned valuable lessons in Web.com playoffs
5. Smylie Kaufman – Defending champion had up and down 2015-16, but has good memories here.
6. Ryo Ishikawa – Four top 10’s on Japan Tour and a T10 at CIMB Classic show he’s in form.