Shanghai, China – The biggest event of the young 2016-2017 PGA Tour season kicks off on Wednesday night, when golf’s best travel to China for the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions.
With a strong field that includes FedEx Cup champion Rory McIlroy, the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions promises to add to the growing reputation of the event.
Here’s what you need to do as you get ready for the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions.
Scotland’s Russell Knox won his first PGA Tour event finishing with a 72-hole total of 268. His final round 68 gave him a two-shot victory over Kevin Kisner, who continued his breakout 2015 season.
Knox picked up a winner’s cheque of $1,400,000.
England’s Danny Willett foreshadowed his Masters victory, shooting a final round 62 to tie for third with countryman Ross Fisher.
American Dustin Johnson and South Africa’s Branden Grace tied for 5th at 272 to complete a stellar top five.
Here are the final results of the 2015 WGC HSBC Champions:
The Field for the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions
The field for the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions includes eight of the Top 10 players in the world, with only world number one, Jason Day, and fourth ranked Jordan Spieth not in the field.
That leaves the number two ranked Dustin Johnson as the top player in the field. The reigning U.S. Open champion was recently named the PGA of America and Razzball.com PGA Tour Player of the Year.
All four of the 2016 major champions are in the field. Johnson is joined by Masters champion Danny Willett, Open champion Henrik Stenson and PGA winner Jimmy Walker.
Past Champions in the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions Field
In addition to defending champion Russell Knox, five other former winners are in the field for the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions.
Among the players who have hoisted the championship trophy are 2014 champion Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson (2013), Martin Kaymer (2011), Francesco Molinari (2010) and Sergio Garcia, the winner in 2008.
The most notable past champion not in the field is hall of famer, Phil Mickelson, a winner here in 2007 and 2009.
Hottest Players in the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions Field
According to the Razzball Fantasy Golf Rankings (RFGR), here at the hottest players in the field for the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions:
2016 WGC HSBC Champions – Our Picks
Here are the players we feel have the best chance of winning the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions:
1. Rory McIlroy – New Driver in the bag but seems to have taken it to a new level.
2. Paul Casey – Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Will end seven year drought soon.
3. Dustin Johnson – Past winner always plays well in China.
4. Patrick Reed – Ryder Cup hero always in contention.
5. Bubba Watson – 2014 champ trying to forget disappointing 2015-2016 season
6. Adam Scott – 6th ranked player in the world got back in the winner’s circle in 2016.
2016 WGC HSBC Champions – Sleepers
Here are players who might not get the attention but could be big contenders at the 2016 WGC HSBC Champions:
1. Justin Thomas – Last week’s winner on tour on the verge of stardom
2. Alex Noren – Swede has won three times in his last nine starts.
3. Ryan Moore – PGA Tour playoffs and Ryder Cup performance have him at a different level.
4. Hideki Matsuyama – Hard to call the #10 player in the world a sleeper, but won’t get deserved attention.
5. Tyrell Hatton – Young Englishmen is a recent winner on the Euro Tour.
6. Emiliano Grillo – Young Argentine has a game designed for big events.