Sea Island, Georgia – The PGA Tour returns to Davis Love III‘s home turf this week for the playing of the 2016 RSM Classic.
As with other events in the early going of the 2016-2017 wrap around season, none of the worlds elite players are in the field this week. Some are resting after a busy 2016. Others are in Dubai for the European Tour’s season-ending event.
Still there are FedEx Cup points available and a chance for a year or career defining victory.
Here’s what you need to know as you watch the 2016 RSM Classic.
After four runner-up finishes in 2015, Kevin Kisner finally got his first PGA Tour win. His final round 64 gave him a commanding six shot victory over fellow American Kevin Chappell.
Kisner earned $1,026,000 for the win, finishing with a 72-hole total of 260, 22 under par.
Chappell, another player looking for his first win, closed with a 67.
Graeme McDowell, Jon Curran and Freddie Jacobson finished 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively. McDowell and Jacobson had 67 and Sunday, while Curran had a final round 66.
Here are the final results of the 2015 RSM Classic:
|T9||Charles Howell III||67||70||67||68||272|
The Field for the 2016 RSM Classic
Despite the fact that no one in the Top 15 in the Official World Golf Ranking are in field, there are still a lot of quality players at the 2016 RSM Classic.
Eight players in the Top 50 in the world are teeing it up, led by #20 Matt Kuchar. Other top players include Brandt Snedeker, the 26th ranked player in the world and 2015 runner-up Kevin Chappell. Chappell has recorded three more second place finishes in 2016 as he looks for his first win.
The list of contenders also includes major champions Jim Furyk and Zach Johnson.
Here is a complete list of tee times and players for rounds one and two.
Past Champions in the 2016 RSM Classic field
With this being just the seventh edition of the RSM Classic, the pool of past champions is relatively small. But all six RSM Classic/McGladrey Classic winners are in the field for the 2016 RSM Classic.
In addition to defending champ Kevin Kisner, Robert Streb (2014 winner), Chris Kirk (2013), Tommy Gainey (2012), Ben Crane (2011) and Heath Slocum (2010) are all among the scheduled starters.
Hottest Players in the 2016 RSM Classic
According to the Razzball Fantasy Golf Rankings (RFGR), here at the hottest players in the field for the 2016 RSM Classic:
|7||USA||Charles Howell III||49||97|
|9||KOR||Si Woo Kim||53||54|
2016 RSM Classic – Our Picks
Here are the players we feel have the best chance of winning the 2016 RSM Classic:
1. Kevin Chappell – The time is now for win number one.
2. Kevin Kisner – Defending champion was dominant here last year.
3. Chris Kirk – 2013 champ has four top 10’s in last five starts.
4. Matt Kuchar – Olympic bronze medalist due for a win.
5. Bill Haas – Was T4 at the HSBC Champions, his last start
6. Jim Furyk – Hall of Famer looking to get his year off to a good start.
2016 RSM Classic – Sleepers
Here are players who might not get the attention but could be big contenders at the 2016 RSM Classic:
1. Ben Crane – 2011 champion had a Top 15 last week.
2. Bryson DeChambeau – Will win sometime, why not this week?
3. Patrick Rodgers – Will 2016-2017 be his breakthrough season?
4. Kevin Streelman – Two-time tour winner looking in-form after a T4 in Mexico.
5. Robert Streb – 2014 winner looking to bounce back from disappointing 2016.
6. Charles Howell III – Hard to believe a player this good hasn’t won for nine years.